These are the family trees of John N. Maddin and Lillie M. Turner who were married on 18 June 1907 in Bridgeport, Belmont County, Ohio. This couple will be the starting point for my study of the Turner - Maddin families. In the next weeks, months, and years I hope to discover and share the stories of the lives of these people and their families with their descendants. I hope other family members and researchers will contribute to this effort.
John Maddin and Lillian Mary Turner took out a marriage license on 17 June 1907 in Wheeling, Ohio County, West Virgina (see image of license below), and were married the next day on 18 June 1907 in Bridgeport, Belmont County, Ohio. (Ohio Marriages, 1800-1958. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.2/MXH2-6GV/p4) (NOTE: Wheeling, West Virgina and Bridgport, Ohio are just across the river from one another). It is interesting that while they were married in Ohio as their marriage license was taken out in West Virginia; we would expect the marriage license to be from the same state as the location of the marriage. I noticed that several other members of this family living in Ohio also had marriage licenses in Wheeling West Virginia; e.g. Lillian's parents Harry William Turner and Mary Ellen Giesey, and Lillian's brother William Giesey Turner and Anna Ihlenfeld. It would be interesting to know why this occurred.
|John Norton Maddin age 23|
(Original owned by Judy Novack)
|Lillian Turner Maddin with baby Elma |
|John N. Maddin & Lillian Mary Turner Maddin|
John and Lillian had 5 children:
- Elma Lillian (28 June 1908 Wheeling, Ohio Co. West Virgina. - 13 Mar 2003 Sutherland Key, Monroe County , Florida)
- Norton Turner (2 Feb 1910 Belaire, Belmont Co. Ohio - 20 Jan 1975 Buffalo, Erie Co. New York.
- Marjorie Mary (8 Sept 1911 Canton, Belmont Co., Ohio - 11 Apr 1990 Deltona, Volusia Co. Florida)
- Helen Louise (3 Apr 1914 Buffalo, Erie Co. New York - 4 Aug 1990 Buffalo, Erie Co., New York)
- Dorothy Leona (24 Aug 1920 Buffalo, Erie Co. New York - 30 Mar 1987 Long Beach, Los Angeles Co. California)
|Elma, Dorothy, Lillian, Norton, John, Helen, Majorie|
|John and Lillian 50th Wedding Anniversary|
|50th Wedding Anniversary|
I'll be sharing more about these grandparents and their ancestors in future blogs.